Avast's free trial is a scam!(It took a lot of my time to figure out how this scam works).
To avoid getting sued by Avast, I stipulate that I am describing "my experience." There are horrible reviews of Avast all over the internet so the company doesn't seem to care about suing anyone). You have to provide your credit card info to activate the "free" trial. Their site boasts you "will not be charged" until the end of the trial period and Avast will also "send you an e-mail warning you that the trial period is going to expire soon." That sounds good. My experience was, after giving them my credit card info to activate a "60-day free trial," a $49.99 fee appeared on my credit card immediately.
I didn't worry about that because I THOUGHT Avast would refund my money if I cancelled before the 60-day trial ended. 50 days later, when I canceled the trial and tried to get the charge removed, Avast's reps told me two excuses why they could not refund my money. The first one was you missed the deadline to cancel. "You didn't sign up for a 60-day free trial you signed up for a 30-day trial.
Avast ONLY offers 30-day free trials." (Internet sources for getting Avast's free trials reveal 60 and 90 day free trials are out there). Here's the bottom line on how their free trial scam works. The fine print on the contract states you are also agreeing to "auto-renewal" of the anti-virus protection at the end of a year. You will assume that means,,,,,after a year passes, if you do nothing to stop it, you'll see a fee for renewing Avast's anti-virus software on your credit card.
But you are not worried about that. You just want to try it out and cancel during the "free trial" period if you are not happy. Wrong answer!! The second excuse Avast gave me as to why they could not refund my money was.....you signed up for two services.....a year's worth of virus protection AND a trial of the software with automatic renewal.
The company told me...."We have refunded your money for auto-renewal and the free trial. But we ARE charging you for the year of virus protection you put in your shopping cart." Don't try and figure it out. It makes no sense. Why would I sign up for a free trial at the same time I am signing up for a year's worth of virus protection that can't be refunded??
Avoid getting involved with Avast and save yourself a lot of time. Download Microsoft's "Microsoft Security Essentials" if you have a Windows 7 or Vista PC. If you have Windows 8, Windows Defender is installed on your PC. (Make sure it's turned on).
Both of Microsoft's free anti-virus protection services work extremely well.
P.S. I never received any confirmation email about my license key for the service. And I didn't get any “warning that the trial was ending" email.
When I called Avast, they had no record of my interactions in their database.
What does that that tell you?
More Review Details
|Product or Service Quality|
|Diversity of Products or Services|
|Privacy and Data Security|
|Style and Design|
What I liked
- Software works
What I disliked
- Fraudulent practices
- Could not get a refund
- Reason of review:
- Avast refused to refund my money when I cancelled their "free" trial.
- Preferred solution:
- Full refund
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Internet Security
- Review category
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "purchased both the script and install. They provided a script with no instruction manual so there's no way to know how to use this complex web script. Then they went..."
- "Avast's free trial is a scam! (It took a lot of my time to figure out how this scam works). To avoid getting sued by Avast, I stipulate that..."
- "Our computer after installing KIS 2015 started showing 99% CPU usage by avp.exe and I have been a KIS for 8 years. I called and got the Phillipines they could..."
- "On feb 10,2016 I purchased a male from her. She showed me the parents suggesting the size he could be. I left with her promising to send me..."
- "I AM A DIALYSIS PATIENT....29 IDLEWOOD BLVD.STAUNTON VA 24401THIS IS JUST A EXAMPLE OF HOW CONTAMINATED THIS PLACE IS....RAMPID CROSS CONTAMINATION..PATIENTS ARE TREATED LIKE STATISTICS.IF YOU LOOK CLOSE AT THE..."
- "Dear United Airline Customer Care, My name is Ning Wu. I have purchased UA tickets of RIC to NKG, Feb. 10, 2016 and NKG to RIC, Feb. 24, 2016. United Conf#..."
- "Thank God I only purchased 1 item - a coat. My flannel nightgowns have more shape and quality than the completely crappy coat I got from Modily! It cost $31.50..."
- "I recently bought a Pro-Form 225 CSE Elliptical. Once we try it we noticed how much the machine rocks. We try different surfaces, adjusting the feet and tighten up the..."
- "Ordered a Premium Large Garden Basket (the biggest upgrade) for a friend's funeral. They assured me they would be delivered to the funeral home by 10:30am since the funeral started..."