Avast's free trial is a scam!(It took a lot of my time to figure out how this scam works).
To avoid getting sued by Avast, I stipulate that I am describing "my experience." There are horrible reviews of Avast all over the internet so the company doesn't seem to care about suing anyone). You have to provide your credit card info to activate the "free" trial. Their site boasts you "will not be charged" until the end of the trial period and Avast will also "send you an e-mail warning you that the trial period is going to expire soon." That sounds good. My experience was, after giving them my credit card info to activate a "60-day free trial," a $49.99 fee appeared on my credit card immediately.
I didn't worry about that because I THOUGHT Avast would refund my money if I cancelled before the 60-day trial ended. 50 days later, when I canceled the trial and tried to get the charge removed, Avast's reps told me two excuses why they could not refund my money. The first one was you missed the deadline to cancel. "You didn't sign up for a 60-day free trial you signed up for a 30-day trial.
Avast ONLY offers 30-day free trials." (Internet sources for getting Avast's free trials reveal 60 and 90 day free trials are out there). Here's the bottom line on how their free trial scam works. The fine print on the contract states you are also agreeing to "auto-renewal" of the anti-virus protection at the end of a year. You will assume that means,,,,,after a year passes, if you do nothing to stop it, you'll see a fee for renewing Avast's anti-virus software on your credit card.
But you are not worried about that. You just want to try it out and cancel during the "free trial" period if you are not happy. Wrong answer!! The second excuse Avast gave me as to why they could not refund my money was.....you signed up for two services.....a year's worth of virus protection AND a trial of the software with automatic renewal.
The company told me...."We have refunded your money for auto-renewal and the free trial. But we ARE charging you for the year of virus protection you put in your shopping cart." Don't try and figure it out. It makes no sense. Why would I sign up for a free trial at the same time I am signing up for a year's worth of virus protection that can't be refunded??
Avoid getting involved with Avast and save yourself a lot of time. Download Microsoft's "Microsoft Security Essentials" if you have a Windows 7 or Vista PC. If you have Windows 8, Windows Defender is installed on your PC. (Make sure it's turned on).
Both of Microsoft's free anti-virus protection services work extremely well.
P.S. I never received any confirmation email about my license key for the service. And I didn't get any “warning that the trial was ending" email.
When I called Avast, they had no record of my interactions in their database.
What does that that tell you?
More Review Details
What I liked
- Software works
What I disliked
- Fraudulent practices
- Could not get a refund
- Reason of review:
- Avast refused to refund my money when I cancelled their "free" trial.
- Preferred solution:
- Full refund
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Internet Security
- Review category
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "A long story short: I was a Dropbox client happily paying $49.99 (£33.15) a month for 5TB of storage on their Pro package. I make corporate videos and I keep all my..."
- "Bought product, installed, worked for a few days; could no longer access via PC. Was told to install a non-existent mobile app on my droid phone. Software doesn't work as..."
- "They just Deducted R800.00 from my friends creditcard ,contacted them refund to late bank cannot refund, then I had to refund her out of my own pocket , I loaded..."
- "I hired Chuck Messina for a divorce. It was a nightmare. He dragged my case forever by creating false problems and giving me false hope. Charles Messina ended up making..."
- "Too expensive for the crappy home. I've only lived here 6 months. I was under the impression that there was a previous tenant is what they said. When I looked..."
- "I ordered this coat and was highly disappointed once I received it. The coat was extremely large underneath; however, it did fit from head to tail on the top. As..."
- "I ordered 80 stems of Lilies to be delivered to my mother for Mother's Day. What she received was absolutely unacceptable, and barely could be called flowers at all...."
- "On feb 10,2016 I purchased a male from her. She showed me the parents suggesting the size he could be. I left with her promising to send me..."
- "Dear United Airline Customer Care, My name is Ning Wu. I have purchased UA tickets of RIC to NKG, Feb. 10, 2016 and NKG to RIC, Feb. 24, 2016. United Conf#..."