1.1
Privacy and Data Security
Style and Design
Usability

On November 8 at approximately 12:14 am I was notified that my paypal account paid avast/digitalriver a sum of $84.99 and $42.49. I did not authorize the charges, nor did I order the services attached to these charges, however, about 1 month earlier on October 10 of 2017, I purchased a basic software protection package from avast.

When I called to dispute the charges, the customer representative began to argue. He said, "We sent you an email informing you that automatic subscription had been activated" (another service I did not request). Fortunately, I had other emails from avast informing me that certain trial aspects of my service were about to expire, and would disappear if I did not manually renew them. The rep from avast had no recourse but to refund my money.

He seemed accustomed to these types of calls. I find this experience disturbing on many levels. First, avast and paypal are companies that rely on trust to operate. If paypal can't protect your linked accounts, how can they continue to offer the financial services they claim to provide?

Second, we as consumers are supposed to trust a company like avast with all our online content, including usernames and passwords. How can we do that when they have a reputation of sneaking in in the middle of the night and charging their customers for items they did not order. I wonder how many unwitting customers are charged and never realize it.

In my opinion, the actions that avast/digitalriver took in my case are easily categorized as attempted robbery. I charge avast/digitalriver with a crime and advise all who choose not to do business with criminals to steer clear.

Comments

#1519504

Avast protects nothing all it is ,is aplatform to sell more products